Kid-friendly, standards-aligned educational podcasts students listen to while they walk!
How It Works
- The program, available as both digital downloads and on preloaded audio devices, is used in all types of educational settings.
- Podcast topics cover English language arts, science, and social studies and are appropriate for grades 3 through 8.
- Each 15-minute standards-aligned podcast begins with a different health message to build health literacy.
- Character values woven throughout each podcast support social and emotional learning (SEL).
- Lesson plans include vocabulary, discussion questions, and quizzes for each podcast.
- Program is EASY to implement and complimentary online training and professional development is available.
- Kids LOVE it!
Based on research conducted by the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Impacts of walking while listening to TWC podcasts (vs. sitting and listening):
- Higher levels of cognitive Performance (on both short- and long-term learning!)
- Improved mood
- Increased classroom engagement
- Greater enjoyment of walking
Composite of 20 student brains taking the same test
After sitting quietly
After 20-minute walk
Research/scan compliments of Dr. Chuck Hillman, University of Illinois
Digital Download Podcast Bundles
The Walking Classroom podcasts and corresponding lesson plans are available as digital downloads
in the following bundles:
- Biographies: This bundle features 23 educasts of prominent Americans.
›› See podcast titles in the Biographies Bundle
- Language Arts: This bundle features 23 educasts on various Language Arts topics.
›› See podcast titles in the Language Arts Bundle
- Revolutionary War and Westward Expansion: This history bundle features 23 educasts on the Revolutionary War and Westward Expansion.
›› See podcast titles in the Revolutionary War and Westward Expansion Bundle
- Civil War and Civil Rights: This history bundle features 23 educasts on Civil War and Civil Rights.
›› See podcast titles in the Civil War and Civil Rights Bundle
- Science: This Science Bundle features 23 educasts on life science, earth science, and physical science.
›› See podcast titles in the Science Bundle
Preloaded Audio Devices (WalkKit)
- WalkKits are preloaded with podcasts for an entire school year
— The Walking Classroom Complete Program with language arts, science, and social studies podcasts
›› See all 167 podcast titles included in the complete program
- The Walking Classroom STEM Program with podcasts related to earth science, physical science, and life science.
›› See all 61 podcast titles included in the STEM program
- No updating required
- Durable and reusable year after year
- Podcasts can be played at slower speeds—great for ESL students!
Teacher’s Guides are available with full lesson plans for each podcast