Designed for students in Grades 6-12, Rosen Digital’s Core Concepts databases support STEM learning and deliver curriculum-correlated content; promote digital literacy and 21st-century learning skills; and offer research, report, and homework help.
Online resource features
Core Concepts Databases
Core Concepts: Biology
A content-driven, visually stimulating, and media-rich online science resource.
- Interactive Plan-It Earth: Cause and Effect activities demonstrate the impact of biology on life, empowering students to be creative content creators.
- Biographies and interactive timelines that put discoveries and events in historical context.
- Science experiments to get hands-on with biology.
- Call-outs encourage users to witness and apply biology concepts to daily life.
Core Concepts: Chemistry
Encourages students to explore the world around them from the subatomic level on up.
- Interactive Chemical Reactions: Moving Molecules activity, which explores the science of chemical reactions.
- Extensive footage, images, and diagrams–including targeted, student-created videos from the Chemical Heritage Foundation.
- Hands-on experiments and activities that inspire students to “Think Like Scientists”.
- The ability to submit videos for publication on the site.
- Inquiry-based, problem-based, and project-based experiences for independent/group learning.
Core Concepts: Periodic Table
Makes complex scientific concepts easy to understand and highly engaging.
- Interactive “Element Builder” activities reinforce skills and core ideas, allowing students to explore atomic theory and master the science behind the periodic table.
- Articles enhanced with unique student-created video from the world-renowned Chemical Heritage Foundation.
- Professional footage, extensive images, diagrams, and data tables provide an understanding of the elements, from the atomic level to the cosmic.
- Content suited for independent exploration and study as well as whole-class instruction.
PowerKnowledge Life Science, Earth & Space Science, and Physical Science are online science resources specifically designed for learners in grades 3 – 6. Comprised of curriculum-correlated content, PK Science promotes STEM education, Next Generation Science Standards, digital literacy, and 21st-century learning skills while offering research, report, and homework help.
A WONDERFUL PRODUCT that will be a really useful addition to any school or public library’s digital collection! The design of the database, the ease of searching make it VERY USER-FRIENDLY…Many online resources related to science topics are written for older readers. PowerKnowledge Life Science will benefit its target audience in grades 3 to 6, as well as serve as A VALUABLE RESEARCH TOOL for older students with reading difficulties.Joanne de GrootDepartment of Elementary Education, Teacher-Librarianship by Distance Learning, University of Alberta
EXTREMELY KID-FRIENDLY! This database would be very useful for our special-ed classes, as well as for our students who are not reading at grade-level. Our science teachers appreciate the simple and uncluttered look and structure.Library Media Specialist, University Middle School, NJ
Accessible and navigable by students in grades 2–5, including special needs students. The content is RELEVANT AND AGE APPROPRIATE. My teachers and I have been pleased with PowerKnowledge Life Science and look forward to using PowerKnowledge Earth & Space!Librarian, Sharp Elementary School, NJ
POWERKNOWLEDGE LIFE SCIENCE IS A WINNER! ... an excellent foray into the elementary database world.Teacher-Librarian, Petaluma School District, CA
A quality tool in the ongoing quest for substantial online resources. . . . Substantial information is presented in a way that isn’t overwhelming for kids. High-quality multimedia elements are seamlessly integrated. The interface is kid-friendly in both look and function. Overall, Life Science is a well-crafted resource that will enhance student research.
FANTASTIC ... user-friendly and easy to navigate…This database is exactly what elementary teachers have been waiting for.Teacher-Librarian, Saskatoon, Public School Division, Saskatchewan
I LOVE THE SECTION ON CLASSIFICATION. Teaching classification in science classes can be a challenge — so including the classification section is brilliant. The 'Think Like a Scientist' boxes ask excellent questions.Librarian/Media Specialist, Mt. Gilead MS/HS, OH
Power Knowledge Databases
PowerKnowledge Life Science
An online resource specifically designed for learners in grades 3 to 6. Comprised of curriculum correlated content, PK Life Science promotes digital literacy
PowerKnowledge Earth & Space Science
An online resource specifically designed for learners in grades 3 to 6. Comprised of curriculum correlated
PowerKnowledge Physical Science
An online resource specifically designed for learners in grades 3 to 6. Comprised of curriculum correlated content, PK Physical Science promotes digital
If ever there was an ideal product for the 21st-century student, this is it. Rosen’s new database, Digital Literacy, is the Ellis Island for today’s middle and high school students and their teachers.School Library Journal, August 2013
Real Life Literacy Databases
Rosen Digital’s Digital Literacy
Empowers 21st-century learners with the knowledge and skill set to safely and effectively navigate the digital world. Innovative interactive activities guide students to safely use
Database articles explore cyberbullying, digital etiquette, career information and preparedness, various digital platforms, and technology’s biggest movers and shakers. Aligned to Common Core, AASL, and ISTE standards, Digital Literacy will give your students 21st-century skills and help them become savvy Digital Citizens!
- Articles aligned to Common Core, AASL, and ISTE standards
- Interactive activities allow students to apply knowledge and create digital content
- Lesson plans created by Michelle Luhtala, Library Department Chair, New Canaan HS, CT
- User-friendly browse and comprehensive search make information easy to find
- Instant translation offers articles in over 100+ languages
- Text-to-speech and optional text highlighting supports struggling readers and ELLs
- Social bookmarking lets users share information with friends and family
- Weekly quizzes and polls invite user interaction
- iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, and netbook compatible
Rosen Digital’s Financial Literacy
From personal finance and entrepreneurship to market economics and globalization, Rosen Digital’s Financial Literacy database makes economics and finance both readily
- Curriculum-correlated content supports state and national standards for economics and personal finance
- Dynamic videos bring economics to life
- Interactive calculators and financial tools give hands-on experience with money management
- Quizzes and polls invite users to test their knowledge and share their opinion
- Instant translation offers articles in over 100+ languages
- Text-to-speech supports struggling readers and ELLs
- Social bookmarking lets users share articles with friends and family
- Lesson plans provide roadmaps for an introduction to financial literacy
Teen Health & Wellness: Real Life, Real Answers
Depression, drinking, suicide, drugs, bullying, date rape, eating disorders — are your teens dealing with these issues?
Developed for teens, with their unique concerns and perspective in mind, Teen Health & Wellness: Real Life, Real Answers draws on Rosen’s award-winning series, including Coping, Need to Know, and others. Thoroughly updated and revised for online use, all content is reviewed by leading professionals in medicine, mental health, nutrition, guidance, and career counseling. Read editorial and expert review policies here.
Teen Health & Wellness: Real Life, Real Answers has received critical acclaim and won numerous awards, including an EDDIE (Annual Education Software Review) Award, an Association of Educational Publishers (AEP) Distinguished Achievement Award, a World Wide Web Health Award, and a Best Educational Software (BESSIE) Award. See full list of awards and reviews here.
- Free Mobile App for 24/7 access to teen hotlines, help lines, and web sites on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch
- Text-to-Speech to support students with learning difficulties and struggling English language learners
- Instant translation into over 100+ languages, including Spanish, French, Chinese, Russian, Arabic, Haitian Creole
- “Stop Bullying” Tool-Kit to support anti-bullying efforts
- Optimized for smartphones for access anytime, anywhere
- Videos throughout, including student-created PSAs, add a new level of interactivity. Teens can provide a soundtrack to their videos with the new royalty-free music library.
- Interactive calculators give personalized tips on Body Mass Index, Blood Alcohol Content, Budgets, and more
Licensing and Access
Renewal Required: You must renew this subscription every year.
Lifetime Access: You only need to purchase this product one time.
Simultaneous Access: More than one person can use this product at the same time.
Multi-School Incremental Discounts: Discounts available if purchasing for more than one school/location. Contact Mackin for discount information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Multi-Year Discounts: Discounts available if purchasing for more than one consecutive year. Contact Mackin for discount information at email@example.com.
Content Correlation: NF=Nonfiction F=Fiction
Minimum System Requirements
The following browsers are supported:
The following browsers are compatible:
Internet Explorer 8 and higher (Internet Explorer 9 or higher is recommended)
Safari 4 and higher
Firefox 3 and higher
Chrome 8 and higher
iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, and netbook compatible
Text to Speech
For computers, Flash 8 and higher is required for text-to-speech. If Flash is not present, an mp3 file of the audio can be downloaded. iOS devices (iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch) will do text-to-speech using an HTML5 player.
Games on this site require Flash 9 and higher to play.